Cr Thang Ngo develops financial assistance package for local residents (download Supporting Fairfield Families paper)
is an area of social disadvantaged by several indicators: Fairfield
- SEIFA (Socio-Economic Indexes for Area)
- General Deprivation Index, Baum,
- Highest rate of mortgage in arrears.
tops a national list of neighbourhoods with the highest rate of mortgage arrears1. In fact, Fairfield LGA has two suburbs in the top 10 ( Wetherill Park is ranked 10th.) Fairfield
- High rate of repossession as a result of home loan default
Our community will be hit harder through:
- Increase in petrol prices: during May, unleaded petrol in
reached $1.62/litre, with average expenditure per family of $4800 a year. Some economists are predicting $2/litre prices in the near future2. Sydney
- Some federal government bureaucrats also claim that the imminent introduction of FuelWatch could "hurt
- Increase in cost of groceries and household essentials as a result increase in transport costs.
- Expenditure on pokies of $330m a year or 78% of disposable income.
- Increase in council rates of 3.2% to come into effect 1 July 2008.
That's why I have prepared Supporting Fairfield Families discussion paper, aimed at providing tangible support for Fairfield residents. I have asked Council staff to examine the paper and prepare a formal report. Download Supporting Fairfield Families.
I encourage residents to read Supporting Fairfield Families and give me your comments.
1Defaults hit mortgages in city's west, Sydney Morning Herald, 30 May 2008.
2Average petrol price up by 10c, Daily Telegraph, 22 May 2008.
3Kevin Rudd’s FuelWatch ‘to hurt western
Sydney ’, Daily Telegraph, 27 May 2008.
Welcome to the first and only website by a Fairfield Councillor.
Please visit regularly to find out about council activities and how I am fighting for residents' rights.
If I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me via email or call me on 0410 33 88 33.
© Copyright 2000 - 2008 Thang Ngo. All rights reserved.
Authorised and written by Thang Ngo, PO Box 1181, Cabramatta NSW 2166
Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed are my personal views and, unless otherwise stated,
do not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation(s).